Saturday, November 08, 2003

Watching the ant people

I went to the Raptors/Mavericks basketball game on thursday and I can't say I was that impressed. Maybe it was the seats--due to my cheapness I got the seats sitting with the pigeons in the rafters in the shadows of a looming luxury box. Maybe it was the low scoring/low tension affair on the court. But I think the real problem was the music. Most of the music itself, per se, I didn't have a problem with. Much better than the kind of schlocky rock music you hear at hockey games. The real problem was that it didn't stop. Ever. It made it almost impossible to distinguish the period of yet another endless time-out from the actual game. All events were soundtracked the same way. Well, they did try to do something, occassionally playing some tinny electronic music that was clearly meant to be the Raptors on attack theme song.

The music meant that for people like me, far from the actual game, we couldn't hear the game itself. There was no tactile experience to it. No sound of a bouncing ball, or the squeaking of sneakers on the court. Nothing. A sterile arena, an ambivalent crowd and a few people silently moving around hundreds of metres below. All in all, no reason to ever go again.

However, Matt provides many reasons to go to Iceland. It sounds like my kind of place. Rachel said that it was great too--even the 6 month old buried, rotten, raw shark that they made her eat. One of these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home