Monday, September 22, 2003

Stay all day/if you want to
Matt's right...I do have mixed feelings about the impending re-union of the Pixies. Most notably, I'm concerned about their new album. There's a strong case to be made that the Pixies have never made a bad album. Trompe le Monde may be weaker than the others, but it still has some classics and it may be the album to which I have the most emotionally invested. My favourite moment visiting Paris was sitting in a park on the Champs Elysee with a view of the Eiffel Tower listening to "Alec Eiffel." So a new album could be a real downer. Even if it's up to the quality of their earlier efforts, I have to say that my musical taste may have mellowed somewhat in the intervening years, so it may not have the same effect. However, I'll go to and love the concert anyways, despite them being old and fat. I know that the crowd will be full of people like me, people who loved the Pixies, and that love will overcome all. Not to be cheesy or anything.

I had a good weekend. My parents and my second cousin from Sweden were all in town. I had my housewarming party, leaving my fridge full of beery goodness. I was glad that Christy dropped by, I hadn't seen her in far too long. And another surprise guest, Sierra, also dropped by. The party was dominated by Rachelle's friends, who were busy networking and exchanging business cards and inviting each other to their art gallery openings, but from my perspective they made for some very interesting background. I had a long talk with a bald guy with the biggest beard I'd ever seen who just had a long piece published in McSweeny's. Definitely a different crowd than I'm used to.

I also went to my first drive-in. At least I believe it was my first, I have vague memories of another, but I can't quite pin it down. It's not a bad way to see a movie at all. Good surround sound, you can talk out loud when you feel like it, bring the munchies that you want--all the advantages of a good home theatre system, but it feels more like "going-out" than renting a movie.

My Swedish second cousin recommended the band "Kent" to me. After downloading some songs this weekend, I would heartily recommend them. There's nothing quite like attempting to sing along to Swedish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home