Friday, August 15, 2003

Making the most of the true British? climate

It's getting hot in here. Must be something in the atmosphere. Today, I wake up to lights. Not usually a huge event. But today it was an unknown if I was going to be able to flip the switch and have light emerge from that little bulb thingy in the ceiling. It was a good feeling.

Things are slowly returning to normal. There are people out on the streets, going somewhere. Stores are slowly beginning to open. People are still frantically trying to buy D batteries from sold-out corner stores everywhere. Work has been closed down again for me. There are still some traffic lights down and the subway is still out of service but other than that it's fairly normal.

I love blackouts. It's a really pleasant feeling, while the novelty is still there. People were really friendly last night. Out on the streets with candles talking to their neighbours. (Mine turn out to be from Ottawa). I sat on my rooftop patio with one of my roomates, eating her vegetarian curry and popcorn, cooked on our gas stove, watching the type of stars that won't probably be visible in Toronto for another 35 years. There were even a number of shooting stars that streaked across the sky.

If the blackout had lasted another day, however, it would have been horrid. I was down to about $2 in cash, as were most people. And had no way of getting any more. Water would have run out by the evening and it would have been truly an emergency. But for last night, I was happy to enjoy the candlelight, the community and the silence of a city without power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home