Saturday, September 27, 2003

This ain't the planet of sound

I have to give another plug for Kent. I've been listening to them almost nonstop since I found out about them last week. But since this week also marks the full return of my Kazaa-power, I've been splitting my music listening time with a few other bands.

Travis have a new album 12 memories coming out soon. I have to report that it's what you would expect from them. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Their sound and melodies are as good as ever. Re-offender and quicksand are both highlights in that respect. However, I find their welcome wearing a bit. Especially on gimmicky songs such as Peace the Fuck out, which I liked, but grew tired of quickly.

On the other hand, Outkast's new album(s) appear to have moments of brilliance. I hear that the full two album set is a bit of a mixed bag, but what I've heard so far is kick-ass: Hey ya, ghettomusick, and the way you move stand out as superb so far.


Another couple of finds have been Beulah and Bright Eyes. The latter I should have heard of eariler, the former is the better band. I found out today reading NOW that Beulah is coming in the next month to Toronto, adding more marks to what is becoming a crowded concert season. Crowded? Yes, after the minor drought at the end of the summer, good bands are coming in by the bushload. This week, I'm seeing Polyphonic Spree, and hopefully, the Stars. Other worthy shows in the next month include Metric, Broadcast, Yo La Tengo, Calexico, Ron Sexsmith, The Thrills, Death Cab for Cutie, Manitoba, Le Tigre, and, of course, Travis. Any suggestions for what I should see? Ah, choice is a terrible thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home