Friday, June 13, 2003

Slainte!
I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Edinburgh, waiting for a train to bring me back to Glasgow. I'm still feeling that 'everything is but a dream' glaze that comes from the newness of places, mixed with a healthy dose of jet lag. Edinburgh, the city itself, adds to that feeling. It's that rare type of place like Prague, that almost doesn't exist except in fairytales and disney movies. The ancientness of the city would be overbearing if it weren't quite so charming. Of course, the most immediate thing I noticed coming from Glasgow was the number of tourists that seemed to appear in droves. I could walk around with my camera out and not feel like a idiot tourist because, well, everyone else, it seemed, were tourists too, walking around with their cameras out looking like idiot tourists. I took a cheesy distillery museum tour, complete with tour guides who wanted to pretend to be time travellers (Andrew--it oh so reminiscent of the Keith's brewery tour in Halifax) and a "barrel ride" disney-style through the history of scotch making. It was actually alright for that type of thing and gives me a heads up for visiting a real distillery later in the week (probably Oban or Tobermory). I also saw the home of John Knox , who brought protestantism to Scotland in the 16th century, it was done up very well and was extremely interesting, comparable to my favourite museum of Mendel in Brno.

Of course, the main reason I went to Scotland was to see Matt. And it's good to see him in form. He's just got an extremely well paying job for a traveller on a limited visa. And his apartment is spectatular. I'm so jealous. It's in a tentament house just outside the centre of Glasgow with 12 foot ceilings, hardwood, floors and came partially furnished with these fantastic antique pieces that must cost a fortune. He claims apartments like these are a dime a dozen here and certainly Fiona's mother seemed mildly horrified that her daughter was living in such a place.

My train is coming so I should run. More fun upcoming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home