Thursday, June 26, 2003

Back Home

After a busy couple of weeks travelling, I am left with only good memories, a few pictures, and a sunburn courtesy of that famous Scottish sun.

Scotland is a wonderful place. My only complaint with the vacation was that it was too short. Everywhere I went I would have liked to have a spent at least a couple more days. Some day (maybe next year!) I will go back and do the complete West Highland walk from Glasgow to Ben Nevis. Although this time I might bring a raincoat ;). The Islands, too, need much further exploration. They remind me strongly of what I love about Newfoundland, except with a full coat of emerald green painted on everything. Still, it was great to get a small sense of the place, to smell the salt in the air, and even got a chance to take a short swim in the Ocean. We also played some very challenging links golf, visited the oldest monastry in Scotland (and burial place of the real Macbeth), saw three thousand year old standing stones and ruins of houses so old there were giant elms growing through the middle of them, spotted the highland coo (or cow) in its natural environment, and of course, caught up on the latest British "Big Brother" action. All in all, it was great to see Matt and Fiona, and a big thank you to them for being such great hosts, remembering my birthday when I had forgotten it, and managing to stay quiet while I freaked out driving through downtown Glasgow on the wrong side of the road. I've got most of my pictures developed and I'm waiting on one more roll. I'll post some of the highlights when I get them scanned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home