Monday, June 07, 2004

Heterodoxy in no particular order

I have swam in the Pacific Ocean and laid in the sun on a Californian Beach. I have gambled in Las Vegas in a recreation of the Grand Canal in Venice. I have given a presentation to some of, no strike that, the biggest names in my field, arguing a radical shift in perspective and lived to tell about it. I have learnt that Santa Ana is in Orange County and that expedia.com thinks that Orange County is "nearby" San Diego. I have also learnt that saying San Diego is nearby Orange County is somewhat like saying Ottawa is nearby Montreal, or alternatively, that at rush hour, SD is nearby OC as Ottawa is nearby Toronto. I further have learnt that one should check their airplane ticket earlier than three hours before their plane is scheduled to leave from somewhere "nearby." I have been seriously humiliated in a bench-pressing contest with, my admittedly very buff little sister, Rachel. I have discovered my minimum necessities for business-type traveling: a bed, a bathroom, and an iron. I have discovered some little luxurious that make travel better: king-size beds, bathrobes, internet access via television so you can check your email with a wireless keyboard from your bed, and an alarm clock that plays your own CDs. I have attended an ultra-orthodox bar mitzvah and found that this version of "religiousness" apparantly consists of mumbling, swaying, and a profusion of wigs. I have met random Peruvians in a bar in both Ottawa and Toronto. I have been again to Canada's Wonderland and have affirmed my joy in the stomach churning.

All in all-a busy week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home