Friday, April 29, 2005

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

That was my reaction last night to the Arcade Fire concert. It was one of the best concerts that I've ever been to and even though, by most accounts, it was not quite as good as the show that now I *really* regret not seeing them at in October. The whole lineup was good: Final Fantasy (who can get a little gimmicky with his looping pedal and is best when playing covers) and Wolf Parade (much better live than on their EP, and their song "Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" is now one of the top 5 most listened to on my iTunes) opened up with short but very entertaining sets.

And then the Arcade Fire. There were some technical problem they had in the middle of the set because they kept breaking their guitars, which took away some of the energy and I think they were a bit exhausted with their 6 shows in the past 6 nights. But they were just fabulous. Power Out (Neighbourhood #3) was definitely the highpoint in a show with a lot of them. It was transcendant. It took me to a musical place I've never been before. It's hard to describe but it was like a religious epiphany (this is why people believe in God, Chris). It made me excited about liking music again. And then, then, they segued into Rebellion (Lies) which is my favorite song. Oh, it was brilliant. Other high points: No cars no from their EP and worked really well live, Laika is where they first put it into a different gear, Wake Up with everybody they knew up on stage, and ending with In the Backseat which was heart breaking and a great end to the show. See chromewaves for a better description of the Wednesday night show.

So, Matt, if you're not hanging around with the famous coos of Pollock Parks (and mighty fine coos, they be), you might want to try the Glasgow University Debating Chamber on May 5th because this is a show that shouldn't be missed. Even if you're not that keen on the album. Last night, the third sold out show of three in a 1250 capacity venue, and there were still people paying over a 100 bucks for a scalped ticket. You should go just to make me jealous.

Also on May 5th. Thailand! Yay!

I've got the wolf parade EP in the artichokes account, for those able to work the technology.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt Wilson said...

Would love to have gone to that show - but will be on the road that day. Plus it sold out in like 2 seconds. I'm missing Martha Wainwright too...boo.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Oh that's too bad (although looks like tickets aren't sold out according to nme)

I'm missing Martha too, I believe while I'm away. Can't performers have a little more respect for our schedules. You'd think they'd check first.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Not An Artist said...

Hey, if I'd known you were in that line I would have waved - it was right under my living room window. Now I will have to overcome my laziness and listen to their music ;)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home